Admission to the Doctor of Communication
This article will guide you through relevant information about the admission qualifications, procedures, and requirements to the Doctor of Communication program. Please read through this article carefully.
The Doctor of Communication (DComm) program is only open for admission every 1st Semester. Applications for 2nd Semester are not accepted. You may click on any section in the Contents to directly navigate you to the information you need.
What are the admission qualifications for the DComm program?
To be admitted to the DComm program, the applicant must:
- have satisfied the program-specific requirements listed in the program’s information and curriculum; and
- have submitted the complete documentary requirements for admission before the application deadline.
Take note that there is no qualifying or entrance exam for the DComm program.
What are the admission requirements for the DComm program?
Aside from the DComm-specific requirements, applicants must also secure the following:
- Print copy of the signed application for admission form generated from the Online Application System.
- Original copy of academic credentials:
- Original and photocopy of the Official Transcript of Records (OTR). Please take note of the following:
- If the applicant attended multiple schools or earned multiple degrees, the applicant must submit the OTR from the last school attended. The latest OTR should reflect all credentials from prior school/s or degree/s.
- The OTR should bear the school’s dry seal and imprint, the Registrar’s signature in ink, and must bear acceptable remarks. TORs without remarks are considered valid.
- If the applicant holds international scholastic records, the applicant must submit the original copy duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post located in the student applicant’s country of origin or legal residence.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from any of your employer/supervisor, former professor, or former program adviser. Applicants must use the UPOU Form 1a for the recommendation.
- 500-word essay indicating your purpose for applying to the distance education programs and your plans after completion of graduate study at the UP Open University.
- Proof of Payment of Application fee (non-refundable) amounting to PHP 500.00 for applicants based in the Philippines, and USD 100.00 for applicants based abroad. Payment procedures are available in the Online Application System.
- Photocopy of NSO or PSA birth certificate;
- Photocopy of government-issued IDs;
- Two (2) pieces identical 2” x 2” photos and two (2) pieces identical 1” x 1” photos, with your name and the program applied for printed at the back of the photo.
- Additional requirements for foreign applicants (non-Filipino):
- Scholastic Records duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post located in the student applicant’s country of origin or legal residence;
- Photocopy of data page of the student’s passport showing date and place of birth, and birth certificate or its equivalent duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post.
Additional requirements for DComm:
- Statement of Intent in the form of a 2,000-word essay outlining the applicant’s research plan of action, which includes the proposed research framework, problem (in question form) or topics.
- Portfolio of written work comprising the applicant’s written work (e.g., publications and studies undertaken wherein the applicant is the sole or senior author, media productions, scripts, etc.).
- English language proficiency report indicating that the applicant, who is not a native speaker of English and who did not take previous academic coursework in English, has passed a valid English proficiency examination (e.g., International English Language Testing System – IELTS, or Test of English as Foreign Language – TOEFL).
- Proficiency in the use of computers and the Internet, which may be an actual demonstration of proficiency in the use of computer technologies, the Internet, and other information and communication tools essential for undertaking independent research.
- Special Needs Statement that would include but not limited to physical and mental conditions that might require special attention or support service.
For further inquiries about DComm admission requirements, you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the admission procedures for the DComm program?
Step 1: Apply for admission and upload the admission requirements through the Online Application System (OAS). Monitor the progress of your application through the OAS. Please visit this link to view UPOU's admission deadlines.
Step 2: Mail or bring the complete and valid admission requirements on or before the deadline to the address below:
The Admission Section
Office of the University Registrar
UP Open University
Los Baños, Laguna 4031 Philippines
Since the program is only open for admission every 1st Semester, if you missed the deadline for submission of application, then kindly wait for the opening/start of applications for 1st Semester of the next academic year.
You can expect the next deadline to be around the same date/period as the previous deadline. To be sure, always visit this page for updates.
Step 3: If required, take the admission exam. The details of and instructions for taking the exam will be emailed by admissions.
Step 4: If required, complete the DE Readiness Module (DERM). The link to the DERM will be emailed by admissions.
Step 5: Wait for an email from the OUR about the admission results. Results of the evaluation will be released after the evaluation of the respective Admissions Committee of the program and before the registration/enrollment period of the applied term.
How much is the tuition for the DComm program?
Tuition is PhP 1,000.00/unit. Semestral tuition for the program is PhP 8,200.00 for the maximum allowable load of 6 units. Click on the links for the schedule of tuition and payment procedures.
I have other questions.
For more information about the program, please visit the program webpage here: Doctor of Communication
For further admission inquiries and follow-ups on the status of your application, send an email to the UPOU Admission Section via the UPOU Helpdesk.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, UPOU landlines may be unattended at times since staff are observing a skeletal schedule. It would be best to reach us via the UPOU Helpdesk.
We look forward to having you as our student!